Chaat – SPDP for VD
Do you find the topic of my post Greek or Latin ??
I know what the first word means, but second word was hebrew for me till I came to Pune. Okay lets update our vocabulary, as Wiki Says -
So for newbie, Chaat is India’s very own fast-junk yet most loved and eaten food. Now what is SPDP, its an abbreviated word for – Shev Potato Dahi Puri. If you are a Punekar, or if you have any minute relation with this city you should know this patent chaat. :D
Me and The Foodie are ardent fans of Chaats, if there was a Fan Club then we would have shared its Presidency seat :P We faithfully have atleast one chaat dish on daily basis, not that I’m proud of, but now we’ve planned to prepare the similar dishes @home, which might help a baby savings for our daily finances ;) So on this Valentine Day, I present our favourite dish .. SPDP. In most of the chaat dishes all the ingredients are easily available, assembling them into the specific way is the only art.
- Pani Puri Puris – pack
- Sprouts – I used Matki
- Potato: 1 – boiled, peeled, mashed
- Curd- Yogurt
- Sweet-sour Chutney
- Spicy Chutney
- Thin Shev
- Tomato: 1-finely chopped
- Onion: 1-finely chopped
- Coriander leaves: fistful – finely chopped
- Red Chilli powder: 2-3tsp
- Turmeric: 1 tsp
- Chaat powder: 2 tsp
- cumin Powder: 1 tsp – roasted one
- Sugar to taste
- Salt to taste
Lets assemble step wise -
- Chutneys, these are normally pantry stored, or you can prepare them especially for this dish.
- Sprouts – you can refer my stuffing part mentioned in Pani Puri post.OR -
- Soak any sprouts of your choice – overnight.
- Drain the water and and use Sprout maker or colander to sprout the pulses.
- Simply cook these with turmeric and salt in a kadai, till they are soft.
- Potato stuffing – Mash the boiled potatoes with salt, chat and red chilli powder.
- Spiced Yogurt – Mix Cumin powder + Red Chilli powder +salt and some sugar with the yogurt to make the required Dahi for the chaat.
- Now the final Assembling – Follow my pictorial tutorial..
Done !!!… Either prepare it and serve or just keep the assembling ingredients together, cos getting this all together is fun especially on such valentine day, so go on with your valentine and celebrate the art of having Chaat :D
HAPPY VALENTINE DAY….