Malvani style Vatana Batata

Aloo Matar or Potato Green Peas gravy, is one of the most common Indian dish. This is prepared all over the country in different manner, and though its main ingredients are same, the same dish tastes different in different regions.

Malvan is a small part of - Konkan – coastal part of Maharashtra, very famous for spicy sea food and beautiful beaches. My Mom prepares this Malwani masala @ home and sends me a pack of it yearly, which I use in different sabzis – this not only makes the dish spicy but also brings  the lovely Maa ke hath ka swad“ :x

DSCN5998

I tried this Meera’s version, Vatanyachi Rassa Bhaji. But I did few changes to the dish to make it similar to our taste buds.

Changes I made :

    • I made tomato puree instead of chopping it – as wanted a whole lot of gravy to dish.
    • Instead of Kokum, I used tamarind juice
    • And Finally one major change, I used Malvani Masala instead of garam masala mentioned.

DSCN5997

Loved the konkani taste to the simple dish. Infact my Mom prepares a similar version with small prawns in it, too salivating to mention this. ;)

Serve this with hot chapatis or plain rice. Sending this to Priya’s Bookmarked Recipes event.

See you soon, till then Happy Cooking and Posting about it.

Comments

  1. I was recently introduces to malvani cuisine & in love with it now..But hard to find recipes though..So this is a keeper..Looks too delish!!!
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds very delicious and comforting,nice recipe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just to add, if you are a fisheterian, try adding prawns to this, it tastes yummy !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kanchan, you have such a colorful blog! Can you tell me more about the Malvani masala? This is the first time I've heard of it and am so curious! Thanks :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. yummy sabji! If you have the time, please go through the rules of my Healthy Lunch Event & link this post to my page too! [you have to mention my link as well as Smita's link]
    -
    Kavi | Edible Entertainment
    Ongoing event: Healthy Lunch Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  6. PLEASE EMAIL TO RECIPES.THANK YOU.
    zub.du@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for trying. Your version looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have a travel website which is a Maharashtra travel Guide in which we have a page for Malvan with lot of information regarding the place including Malvan Hotels. Other than this we also have a website exclusively for Malvan - www.Malvan.net


    We also have a page for malvani recipes and blogs on Malvan. Do let us know if you would like to feature your blog in the Malvan Blogs page.
    Please write to puneritraveller at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Delicious i have tried it with plain rice and chapattis, seriously its a mouth watering dish... I can still remember the aroma of this dish... Thanks for sharing

    Goa hotels

    ReplyDelete
  10. delicious and mouthwatering. I had it several times with plain rice and chapattis. thanks for sharing the wonderful malvani dish

    Malvani Food

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for Dropping By and taking the time to say Hello here! Your appreciation or criticism makes this small space of mine exemplary so Do Visit Again :)