Italian cuisine, is soon becoming an integral part of Indian Food fraternity. First came the Pizza and now the Pasta. So when I started preparing Pasta dishes @ home, I tried and tasted number of recipes. Searched whole lot of sauces, got number of options , while doing so I stumbled upon a too delectable snap here on flickr. The snap was so addictive, I immediately searched about Bolognese Sauce and tried to create my version of this.
As I have never tried this @ any restaurant yet, so I’ve very little idea if this can go as an authentic recipe, but we tasted what I prepared and we loved it. The sauce can be prepared beforehand and refrigerated to use later.
- Mushrooms : Sliced – about 1 cup
- Onion : finely chopped – 1medium
- Tomatoes : finely chopped or can be easily replaced with puree – about 2-3 Large
- Capsicum : finely chopped : Green and Yellow – ½ each
- Carrots : finely chopped : 1-2 small
- Red Chilli powder : 2-3 tsp <Spicier the better>
- Bay Leaf : 1
- Garlic Cloves : 2 medium – crushed
- Sugar : 1-2 tbsp
- Milk : ½ cup
- Vegetable Stock : 1-1/2 cup (optional) or Water
- Olive Oil – enough to sauté onion
- Salt and Pepper : to taste
- Heat Olive Oil and follow with bay leaf , garlic and onions. Sauté till light pink.
- Follow with Capsicum, Carrots and Mushrooms. Sauté till half cooked.
- Follow with red chilli powder, salt and pepper. Add Tomatoes and let it simmer for 5 minutes or so.
- Mash with a masher to make a mashed sauce. Cook covered for about 10-15 minutes till all is well cooked.
- You can add the vegetable stock or can replace with ½ cup water.
- Follow with milk, mash again if required to make a juicy sauce. Do not overdo it as it should not be paste but a lumpy sauce.
This Sauce can be easily used with a sandwich or with Mashed Potatoes. But goes best with Spaghetti, widely known dish – Spaghetti with Bolognese ~~ Coming Soon :)
Happy Cooking and Posting about it :)