Puran in food processor
I’m attending my BIL’s wedding now, Eating Sweets is the only thing that I’m doing currently. And so I thought, I’ve this Very Sweet Snaps lying in my Photo folder, why not post them now.
Puran Poli is a classic Marathi dish, which is normally prepared during holi and padwa. Puran – the sweet stuffing made of chickpea lentils, is prepared and sieved through a utensil called Puran-yantra <Googled for some images here>. I never tried my hands on Puran or Puran Poli, cos I genuinely thought that this puran-yantra was necessary.
But over the Holi, as an experiment I tried this with the help of food processor. It came out perfect with a smooth consistency.
My work friend Meenakshi consistently prepares Puran Poli every year, and bring whole lot for us too. These measurements are courtesy to her.
- Chana Dal: 1 cup <where 1 cup =250 mg, you can follow this for below measures>
- Jaggery: ¾ cup
- Sugar : ¼ cup
- Elaichi : 2-3 crushed finely
- Nutmeg powder : 1tsp
- Water : 2 and 1/2 cup
- Pressure Cooker – Chana Dal and water for about ten minutes.
- Once cooled – Drain out all the water from it.
- Mash the dal like this:
- Then heat a flat type of kadai, mix all the ingredients mentioned.
- As the jaggery and sugar starts to melt, stir it often so that it mixes quite well.
- Look into it that the mix does not stick. It should be thick till you can do this :
- Let me cool, then in a food processor, mix this to make a smooth dough. It should be looked into, that you do not overdo this – it should not be runny.
Done. Just Puran is also served as Prasad at many places. Serve with a hot ghee :)